The Role of Insurance Coverage in the Fort Wayne Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice07/09/2019“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article titled Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to begin an article! It goes on:$90 billion on low back pain alone annually1.2 million spinal surgeries a year$60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past decade) The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US over $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it is no wonder that insurers seek another way to cut costs, particularly when one-third of the money is spent for hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc is well-equipped and confident in offering non-hospital-based care to help Fort Wayne back pain – chronic and acute – patients get relief of and manage their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery. LOW BACK PAIN FACTS Low back pain is the foremost reason of years lived with disability globally. Today, recommendations for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems have a tendency to struggle with these new approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These views are presented in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc reads this with interest. BACK SURGERY CHOICE Considering these facts, it is not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will pick back surgery over non-surgical care of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers chose to see a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor first based on their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Amending these things to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type might well encourage low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment rather than back surgery. (4) Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc likes this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers require back surgery. (5) Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc is ready to assist the remaining 99% of the Fort Wayne back pain sufferers cope with their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to be with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief. RECURRENT BACK PAIN Fort Wayne back pain sufferers are in good company if their back pain returns. It happens. It is controllable. It is manageable. Some data first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients had another episode of back pain of some sort. What risks spark a recurrence of back pain? Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences. (6) It’s ok though. Truly! Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc helps Fort Wayne back pain patients navigate these recurrences and manage them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life. We have a treatment plan! CONTACT Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson discuss how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you are pregnant or not, Fort Wayne chiropractic care at Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too. Schedule a Fort Wayne chiropractic appointment at Cox Chiropractic Medicine Inc for back pain relief. Our care is not overused! The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic seeks 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often delivers 70%, 80%, 90% and more for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery. « View All Featured Articles"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page. Content is reviewed by Dr. James M. Cox I."